I’ve made this so many times and will never get tired of it. Though I can always appreciate a big bowl of pasta, or an eggplant sandwich from California sandwiches, I almost prefer a salad at this time of day because it’s the most perfect opportunity to get a proper intake of real, raw vegetables. Plus, who (really) likes going back to work feeling all sluggish?
And as we approach the lighter weather and (hopefully) get to go back to the beach, a salad can help with keeping our weight down while making sure we get our fiber intake.
Probably one of the few recipes I’ll post where it doesn’t call for measurements. Because you really can’t mess this up. Please go ahead and add as much or little of the following ingredients to your liking.
Michelle’s House Salad
- Salad spinner/rotator
Vegetables & Legumes
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red onion
- Red pepper
- Yellow pepper
Grains, Nuts & Seeds
- Sunflower seeds
Herbs & Spices
- Black pepper
- Dairy-free cheese, grated
- Dairy-free ranch dressing
- Wash kale and spinach then leave in a strainer while moving to the next step.
- Wash and chop all vegetables into small pieces. Cherry tomatoes should be chopped into fours, but chop into a size that you most prefer.
- Add all vegetables to the salad spinner to drain excess water, then transfer contents in a salad bowl.
- Sprinkle a few pinches of black pepper.
- Toss vegetables and add a bit of sunflower seeds with grated dairy-free cheese and dairy-free ranch dressing.
This salad keeps its freshness if refrigerated in an air-tight container (preferably glass) up to three days. I just tried it on day three while drafting this actually, and the kale’s still super crisp.
Thanks again for your time and choosing to eat sustainably for this meal. THAT MEANS THE WORLD TO ME! I never take for granted the opportunity to share from my kitchen, so please forward if you think it’s just as share-worthy. Please also share your reactions to this recipe in the comments below and feel free to share your variation if you’ve changed/replaced any of the ingredients.